Looking for a fun, family friendly activity you can enjoy at home over the Christmas break? Give this delicious Christmas cookie recipe a try!
• Preheat the oven to 170°C/150°C Fan/gas mark 3/350ºF and line two baking sheets with parchment.
• Mix the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and cloves together. Then add the butter and sugar. Slowly mix in the beaten eggs.
• Create two large circles with the pastry and place them in the fridge until cool.
• Dust your work surface with flour and roll out the dough until its approximately 5mm thick.
• Using your Lakeland cookie cutters, cut out shapes from the pastry. Re-roll any left over pastry and cut out more shapes until you’re all out.
• Carefully create a hole in the top of each cookie to place ribbon through later. Don’t forget this step or you won’t be able to hang the cookies on your tree!
• Place your cookies on a baking tray and into the oven. Cook for around 20 minutes. If they don’t feel quite cooked after 20 minutes then place them back in the oven for a few minutes and check frequently. Once cooked, place on a cooling rack.
• Create the icing following the instructions on the back of the packet. Separate into different bowls and add in a few drops of food colouring (red in one bowl, green in the other). Be careful not to over mix or it will become too thick and difficult to decorate with. Place the icing into the Lakeland thin nozzle bags. Alternatively you can use pre-mixed rainbow decorating icing!
• Use the icing to carefully decorate your cookies. Take your time with this part as it’s difficult to remove the icing once it is on there.
• Once the icing has set, thread string or ribbon through the holes in the cookies and tie a knot to create a loop. At this point they should be ready to place on your tree. Enjoy!
If you’d prefer to hang on to your cookies to use on Christmas Day then be sure to store them in an air tight container in a dry, cool place.
As the nation steps away from COVID restrictions and the summer weather heats up, the glorious ‘staycation’ is on! The city of Nottingham is one of the UK’s most charming, packed with fun sites,...